3/22/2009

Next Army and Fixed Photos

So first, I fixed the photos of my last post, so please go look if you wanted to see some close ups of the armies and table tops.

Second, while I was at Exterminatus I was thinking of what army I wanted to begin to gather and paint next. Well, I am not quite done with my necrons but I have a playable army that works well for my style. So I thought that if I found something that I was interested in, then I could begin on it at a much more leisurely pace and then paint the necs at the same time at a better pace.

So the army's that I have been thinking are, some kind of space marine chapter, most likely one of my own creation, a ork klan, or a tau empire. But I am unsure, and I didn't see anything at the tourney that made me interested in buy the starter kit or one of the small model boxes. I did think about buying black reach, which would have given me models for two of the three, and thus I could just slowly build any kind of army I wanted at my own pace. I may still do that, but with our vacation coming up, I don't think I will be spending any hobby money, unless there is just some kind of great deal on eBay.

So what do you think? How did you arrive at your second army choice? Was it playing something new or playing something similar to your first army?

4 comments:

The Inner Geek said...

Once upon a time many years ago, I just bought minis that I thought looked cool. I guess I still do, it's just that I've been doing it so long I have a few armies. So, I guess I never consciously decided on a second army. As for your second army, the Black Reach idea is a sound one. I'm personally not a huge fan of the Tau, though I do like the Kroot a great deal!

jabberjabber said...

Much like Inner Geek, I started off by purchasing some models that I thought looked cool!

Like many youngsters, I started out with Space Marines (but that was in the old Rogue Trader days). With Space Hulk, I added terminators to my marines(!) and also considered genestealers and tyranid armies a little as well.

But I eventually got in to chaos marines in a big way. So when the daemons codex came out, it was a natural step to build an army of them too (especially since I already had daemon miniatures for use in chaos marine armies!).

I'd really like to think about a Grey Knights army: the miniatures are very cool in my opinion. But the dated rules and sheer expense means that I'm not going to go down that path anytime soon.

Siph_Horridus said...

I chose Imp Guard for my second army so I could expand in a different 'loyal' direction for Apocalypse. Besides, the Guard have the cool FW DKK and a provide me the opportunity to paint something other than my 'grey' Relictors!

CrusherJoe said...

I went with CSM for my second army. Once you've had your ass handed to you by them a few times you really begin to understand just how powerful their current codex is (yes, I know it's not the 'glory days' of the previous codex, but that's perfectly fine).

While CSMs are very similar, they're also very different in many ways, with cult troops and daemon princes being some of the more obvious differences -- but you can go in pretty much any direction you want to go with CSM and still be "legal"...plus, there's that sweet Brass Scorpion from Forge World now that's been callin' my name since the day I saw it...and I'm going to be ordering it soon! :)